So I've had three out of my four classes this week. School here is so easy! I'm so used to being stressed and trying to keep track of all the things I have to do I have to keep telling myself to relax and enjoy my light load!
Yesterday for my Czech class we went to a cafe. We had to order breakfast in Czech and pay in Czech (with Czech numbers). We only spoke Czech in those two instances! The whole rest of the time we just chatted with our teacher to find where the outlet malls, water parks and other fun places to go are. It was great!
Today in Czech class we got down to the nitty gritty with grammar. We learned which nouns are masculine, feminine and neuter. Then we learned pronoun and adjectives and how to change them depending on the gender of the noun. Fairly easy stuff, it will just take some time to get down.
I really love my Art and Architecture class. We walked around Old Town yesterday and learned about Late Gothic architecture. We also learned a lot about the Hussite reformation because it's really reflected in the architecture of this period. Jan (Jon in the states) Hussite led the reformation against the Catholic church. He thought the church had become too corrupt and "glitzy" with the ornate imperial Gothic style of Cathedrals. So he soon acquired many followers and made his own church built in the more simple early Gothic style. He was prosecuted as a heretic and burned at the stake! After that Bohemia fell into its "dark period." His whole reformation against the Catholic church predated the Protestant reformation by 100 years.
Then today I also had my subcultures class. I had to give a presentation on an article we had to read and it went very well! I also got a paper back, I got 100%! We had a guest speaker who taught us about Anarchism...it was pretty interesting.
Oh! I forgot to mention last night! Last night I went over to Alex's apartment. She lives up on this HUGE hill in Prague 5 that overlooks the entire city! I'm very jealous. We made brownies and ate ice cream and then Brett and Brian came over with wine. It was a really nice night.
I also bought some fruit at the Tesco yesterday. I had a full conversation with the checkout lady in Czech! She said hello (Dobry den), I said hello back. She said something fast in Czech and I said I only know a little Czech (Mulvim jen trocho chesky) and that I'm a student at a university here (Jsem studentka z univeriste) she smiled and nodded and rang up my stuff. Then told me the total in czech, which I understood for the first time! I payed and said thank you (Dekuji) and she said thank you too. I said goodbye (Na Sclando sp?) and she did too! Very short and not much said, but I was proud of myself!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment